Social media is a godsend for today’s businesses. It has the power to increase website traffic, generate higher converting leads, improve brand awareness and loyalty, and empower a richer customer experience. But, with so many social media channels to choose from, how do you know you’re using the right ones?
Every company wants to dip their toes into the waters of social media, but there’s more to it than just signing up and expecting success. Few companies recognize the importance of aligning their marketing efforts with the right social media platforms. As a business owner, your selection in social media channels will play an extraordinary role in finding success because every outlet taps into a specific audience and identity.
“Each channel is used in different ways and should be used in different ways. There’s no ‘one size fits all,” says Michelle Vroom, CEO, and Founder of Vroom Communications.
Statistics for the Top Social Media Channels
Identifying your audience is the first step to choosing the correct social media channels to execute your marketing efforts. Thanks to Hubspot, which recently published its ultimate list of marketing statistics, we’ve compiled some important facts on the top social media platforms.
Today’s quintessential social media channel is Facebook. With more than 1.94 billion monthly active users, the social networking site boasts the highest rate of active users with 70 percent of Facebook users logging on a daily basis, including 43 percent who do so several times a day. Additional Facebook statistics include:
- 72 percent of adult Internet users use Facebook
- 74 percent of users say they use Facebook for professional purposes
- 76 percent of users said they utilize their Facebook feed to find interesting content
- Content consumption on Facebook increased by 57 percent in the last two years
- Facebook posts with images receive 2.3X more engagement than posts without images
Bottom Line: It only makes sense for you and your business to hop on the Facebook bandwagon with a number of people who visit the site on a regular basis.
Twitter is another powerhouse platform for social meeting marketing. The site boasts more than 317 million monthly active users, including 100 million daily active users, sending more than 500 million tweets per day. Additional Twitter statistics include:
- 24% of adult male Internet users use Twitter, while 21% of adult female Internet users use Twitter
- 37% of users are between ages 18 and 29 years old
- 25% of users are between ages 30 and 49 years old
- 79% of Twitter accounts are outside the United States
- Top three countries (outside the U.S.) by Twitter user base are Brazil with 27.7 million users, Japan with 25.9 million users, and Mexico with 23.5 million users
Bottom Line: Twitter is a network for conversation, making it the perfect social media channel for those looking to engage with their audience. Businesses should use the channel to reach out to a customer directly, rather than chaotically broadcasting their message to anyone and everyone.
As one of the world’s top social networks, Instagram’s popularity continues to bloom. The photo and video-sharing app have 700 million monthly active users–and growth continues to accelerate at a record pace. According to The Motley Fool, it took Instagram roughly nine months to grow from 400 million to 500 million users, six months to go from 500 million to 600 million users, and only four months to reach 700 million users. Additional Instagram statistics include:
- 28% of adult Internet users use Instagram
- 59% of Instagram users use it daily, including 35% who visit several times a day
- More than 95 million photos and videos are shared on Instagram every day
- Instagram photos showing faces get 38% more Likes than photos not showing faces
Bottom Line: Instagram is the fastest growing social media channel on the web, with a user base reaching one billion active monthly users. Depending on your business objectives, Instagram can be wildly successful in helping you meet your goals, especially if you have the right branding.
Pinterest generates 175 million monthly active users, up 25 million from its total as of last October. Although many businesses tend to disregard Pinterest when it comes to social media marketing, the platform is wildly successful for businesses equipped with the appropriate audience. Additional Pinterest statistics include:
- 31% of adult internet users use Pinterest
- Pinners are just as likely to purchase as users from other social channels but spend 50% more on average compared to other social channels
- Pinners spend 20% more than users referred from non-social channels, including search
- 71% of Pinterest’s users are women
- 45% of people on Pinterest use the app while watching TV
Bottom Line: If your business has imagery to share, then Pinterest is a social media platform to use.
Every social media channel holds a different conversation with a different set of people talking, listening and engaging. To better understand which social media channels to utilize, it ultimately comes down to understanding your audience and who exactly you’re speaking to.
“They need to think about where their audiences are, what they are reading, what they are doing,” says Kenneth Hitchner, public relations and social media director for Creative Marketing Alliance. “If you are marketing to seniors, you’re not going to be using the latest social media app like Snapchat because the audience isn’t there — just like if you are marketing to teens you probably aren’t going to use something like LinkedIn.”
Is your business using the right social media channels? Why or why not?